ISIL has claimed responsibility for the attack outside the UK parliament on Wednesday which left four people dead, according to the terror group’s news agency Amaq.
The agency said: “A soldier of ISIL carried out the attack, responding to a call for attacking citizens of coalition states.
Earlier on Thursday, UK Prime Minister Theresa May said officials will release the attacker’s name “when operational considerations allow.”
She said the attacker was “British born” and had earlier been investigated by MI5 for links to violent extremism.
May says police believe the man acted alone and there is no reason to believe “imminent further attacks” are planned.
“Our working assumption is that the attacker was inspired by extremist ideology. We know the threat from extremist terrorism is very real. But while the public should remain utterly vigilant, they should not and will not be cowed by this threat.”