EU’s foreign policy chief Josep Borrell said on Tuesday that most countries involved in nuclear talks with Iran agree with a European Union proposal to save the 2015 nuclear deal.
“Most of them agree, but I still don’t have the answer from the United States, which I expect during this week,” Borrell, the EU foreign policy chief, said in an interview with Spain’s national broadcaster TVE on Tuesday.
He hastened to add that Iran has requested a few changes to the EU proposal, which has not yet been made public.
Borell stated that the proposal comes after 16 months of indirect talks between Iran and the US, with the EU acting as a mediator.
Iran and the remaining parties to the JCPOA — Russia, China, France, Britain, and Germany — had held several rounds of negotiations in the Austrian capital of Vienna since April last year to restore the agreement, which was abandoned by the former US President Donald Trump in May 2018.
In quitting the agreement, Trump restored sanctions on Iran as part of what he called the “maximum pressure” campaign against the country. Those sanctions are being enforced to this day by the Joe Biden administration, even though it has repeatedly acknowledged that the policy has been a mistake and a failure.
Source: Iranian media